The Placer Inn

1405-1419 MINER STREET 

The two-story portion of this building was built in 1898.  The corner plot on the west was a small city park, complete with a Victorian bandstand.  In the 1930’s, the two-story building housed the local bus depot and in 1929 the bandstand was moved to make way for an addition, The Placer Inn.  The Placer Inn was built by the Rocky Mountain Tours Company so that their passengers could have a refined place to eat lunch.  Their dreams were fulfilled:  the restaurant’s food, service and elegance were legendary along the Front Range.  Guests from all over came to enjoy good meals eaten on tables set with sterling silver flatware, chinaware and fancy linens. 

In the 1950’s, the Placer Inn became a bowling alley.  The building lost much of it’s elegance, as the paned windows were covered up for over 30 years.  However, in 1994, the building was restored to it’s historic state and converted to the Tommyknocker Brewery and Pub.  To this day, Tommyknocker Brewery and Pub continues to serve the public.