
Thomas Barbour Bryan along with his wife Jenny, daughter “Birdie,” and son Charles departed their Elmhurst estate called “The Byrd’s Nest” located in a suburb of Chicago in 1879 and ventured to Clear Creek County, Colorado where the gold rush began.
Bryan was an attorney with a Harvard law degree, and an astute businessman, entrepreneur, and politician. He financed the building of the castle. During his time in the county he became involved in mine speculation, hotel and bathhouse ownership, and dabbled in politics, serving as mayor of Idaho Springs for a time.
The Bryan family resided in Georgetown during construction of the castle and moved in after its completion in 1882. The Bryans’ provided hospitality for friends and dignitaries in the castle ballroom with lively dinners and dance parties.
Thomas Bryan’s daughter, Jenny, designed and decorated the castle. She had been tutored by a neighboring Chicago artist, George Healy (1813 – 1894). He was recognized as one of the most prolific and popular portrait painters of his time. Jenny’s artistry was enhanced through her studies in Rome. Some of her paintings still adorn the castle doors and archway. She had a flair for luxurious decorations from the orient, stained glass, antique furniture, rich rugs and exotic mounted birds and a tiger skin. She decorated the castle with pieces of fine art and ancestral family heirlooms brought from Virginia, the birthplace of her parents. Beautiful china graced the dining room table, and stately plaques, and painted panels, all of her own work, adorned various rooms.
The Bryan family lived in Idaho Springs for only a few years before returning to Chicago in 1884. They took with them their valuable assets and the castle remained unoccupied for several years. The ballroom was rented out for dance parties and musical entertainment for several years after their departure.
In 1889 ownership passed to Horace H. Atkins, a resident of Georgetown, via a tax sale. During 1890 part of the castle roof on the east side was raised creating additional rooms. Its new owners began operating it as a boarding house. In June of 1898 it was advertised as the ‘Castle Hotel.’

The castle has endured its share of adversity. Just after the castle’s completion in 1882, the largest earthquake known to have occurred in Colorado was centered 30 miles north of Estes Park. The shaking was a possible cause of a crack that became evident in the tower. During a flash flood some years later, the tower, weakened by the quake and undermined by melted snow and rain water, collapsed. It was partially rebuilt and remained that way for many years until reconstructed to its original size. A fire broke out in one of the bedrooms during renovation in 1939 causing major smoke and water damage.
In the early 1960’s, Esther and Harold Fox were operating the castle as a boarding house. They constructed a retirement home on the southeast portion of the castle property. Harold passed away from a heart attack. Failing health caused Ester to sell both the castle and her retirement home, and then she moved out of state. Robert F. Metzler, Superintendent of Clear Creek County Schools, purchased the castle in 1967 from Esther and offered rent-free accommodations for two teachers (myself and Ed Greivel) to help renovate the property. Ed Greivel married a few years later and presently lives in Golden, CO. I’m still here acting as caretaker, feeding the birds and watering the lawn.
Most of the tenants that Bob inherited from Mrs. Fox stayed until their jobs or employment took them elsewhere.
He took delight in restoring the castle to its former glory and liked to sign his correspondence as Bob, ‘Knight of the Castle.’
Bob had a passion for architecture and used his knowledge to redesign and decorate each room. With time, effort, and financial where-with-all he made a drastic change to the stark appearing boarding house, and converted it into a comfortable and attractive home.




One of his first undertakings was installing a boiler in the basement providing baseboard heat for part of the castle. Afterwards, he removed the gas space heaters positioned in front of several fireplaces making the fireplaces operational once again. Acoustical panels covering the ceiling were removed exposing aesthetic hand chamfered joists. Tile and linoleum floor coverings were peeled away and the wood floors sanded, restoring them to their natural appearance. Large double doors between the living room and what was once the ballroom were removed providing a more opened, pleasing appearance.
Oriental rugs were added to cover the wood floors and provide warmth and color. Cloth fabrics replaced plastic drapes. Five fireplaces were redesigned with marble inlays. Two fireplaces were eventually converted to natural gas.
The kitchen has undergone several relocations over the last half-century. Bob also added one room, a solarium, and a spacious deck outside the solarium for dining and entertaining. Bob was always thinking of ways to restore the castle to its former glory.
Several interior ceilings were lowered, providing space for plumbing and wiring improvements. Decorative mining beams were incorporated, giving the castle a medieval appearance. Bathrooms were remodeled, and showers replaced bathtubs. Stained glass added colorful accents throughout, and an Italian crystal chandelier enhanced the dining room atmosphere. Electrified niches adorn the stairway to the second floor and provide beneficial lighting. Walnut handrails from the historic Bebe House, where President Grant once stayed, accentuate the staircase. Bob redesigned several windows and doorways, imparting a Moorish flavor.
The original wood doors of the main entry were replaced with glass panels, and a totally new entry created. Bob changed the unbending walkway and added a meandering sidewalk leading from Illinois Street up a concrete stairway, protected by a pair of lion statues symbolizing wisdom, prosperity, and power. The stairway leads one across the drawbridge, and over the moat. A heavy wooden door accents the new entry. Eventually, handrails were added for safety to keep visitors from falling into the moat.
Bob designed the courtyard with a wooden privacy fence, and a variety of trees were planted. Terraced flower beds were added to define certain areas. When the Bryan Hose House was being renovated Bob scavenged the soft bricks from the dumpster and incorporated them as patio pavers.
Local craftsmen Jim Nadeau, Dave Harvey, and Frank Paradise provided blood, sweat, and tears repairing, remodeling and painting various rooms. They used their skill to convert part of the upper floor into a caretaker’s apartment.
Bob befriended artist Roy Kerswill (1925 – 2002), who instructed him in watercolor technique, and many of Bob’s landscape paintings adorn the interior castle walls. One evening while dining, Roy mentioned feeling a presence moving towards him. Startled by the sensation, he heard the whisper of a young woman’s voice. She appeared real standing beside him with a warm smile. Her physical features, clothing, and even scent were vividly present in Roy’s mind. He could feel her energy radiating through him. She appeared to be offering love and support, and was not to be feared. Everyone was aghast at Roy’s unexpected encounter.
Once a group of gentlemen from Nepal were visiting regarding economic development for their country. Upon arriving one individual noticed the decorative trim adorning the windows and doors and excitedly pointed out that it was of Chinese origin indicating ‘keep the good spirits in, and the bad spirits out.’ Not wanting to provoke any evil spirits, Bob made sure all the trim was in good repair.
Jenny Bryan (daughter) who designed the castle interior, shared many similarities with Bob. Throughout their lives they both had a passionate interest in art, architecture, and traveling. Both possessed a strong sense of generosity and altruism – making the world a better place. The castle stands as a symbol connecting their souls and as a reminder of their legacy and foresight which lives into the future.
Charlie Resanovich
Castle Eyrie is a private residence and cannot be toured.