Present-Day Idaho Springs
Today, the population of the town within city limits hovers at 2,000. Mining is virtually nonexistent, and the effort to attract tourists and to capitalize on Idaho Springs history is a major thrust. The Idaho Springs City Hall is housed at 17th and Miner Street in the former Grass Valley School. The brick building was moved in 1984 from its original location at approximately 2400 Colorado Boulevard where the current Safeway grocery store operates. With volunteer help, the City of Idaho Springs remodeled the school into police quarters and city offices.
The downtown district between 13th Avenue and the east end of the 1700 block has been declared a National Historic District. The many lovely homes of the early mining days remain as private residences. The history of Idaho Springs is a valuable asset to the town and is remembered as being created by the ‘59ers. Some of the 1859’ers were George A. Jackson, Henry Allen, E.B. Griswold, William Byers, William N. Slaughter, James Payne, A.J. Storm, D.C. Collier, J.B.C. Boyd, William Hobbs, John Needham, P.P. Schafter, Peter Theobald, Robert Kelso, J.O. Wright, Henry Choate, and W.E. Sisty.
This text is taken from Tailings Tracks and Tommyknockers: A History of Clear Creek County, produced and copyrighted by the Historical Society of Idaho Springs.