Idaho Springs History

Idaho Springs history plays a big part in the history of the entire state of Colorado. Idaho Springs is where the Colorado Gold Rush began. The initial discovery of gold here led to the development of the area and a continuing quest for gold throughout the state.

Timeline

1859 George Jackson discovers gold

George Jackson, a native of Missouri and a cousin of Kit Carson, was a frontier prospector whose “gold fever” led him to Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and California. After toiling in the gold fields of California, Jackson came to Colorado. On a cold day in January 1859, while on a hunting trip in the mountains with a companion, George Jackson came to the frozen course of Vasquez Creek, now known as Clear Creek.  He wished to explore the creek further into the mountains, but Jackson’s companion did not, and so returned to Golden.  Jackson set out alone the next day, following the stream west until he reached the east end of the valley of Idaho Springs, later referred to as Grass Valley. Here he saw a bluish mist rising from a nearby canyon.

Believing it to be an Indian encampment, Jackson cautiously crept up the slope through waist-deep snow to peer over the ridge into the canyon.

Instead of Indians, he saw hundreds of mountain sheep grazing on the green grass that resulted from the warm vapors of the hot springs in that area.  That night he camped in the area of present-day Soda Creek and Miner Street. His prospecting in that area gave little promise, so he pushed further west to the junction of Chicago Creek and Clear Creek.  This is where Idaho Springs history really begins.

Camping on a sand bar to the south of this junction, Jackson built a large bonfire.  The resulting heat melted the frozen sand, allowing him to dig with his hunting knife and pan the sand using his drinking cup.  In just a short time, he had panned nine dollars in gold.  Determining the find to be worthy of further pursuit, he marked the spot and returned to Golden.

On April 17, 1859 with supplies, wagon teams, and twenty-two men, mostly from Chicago, Jackson set out for his claim in what would come to be Idaho Springs.  The road had to be cut as they proceeded.  In places, it was necessary to dismantle the wagons and pack supplies to carry over an obstacle and then reassemble, reload, and proceed.  Near the end of April, the party reached Jackson’s spot along Chicago Creek, beginning their work in earnest. The proceeds from the first week alone were $1,900. This would be $237,615 using the price of gold in September 2024.

In June 1859, a formal organization of the mining district was enacted, the first such recorded in Colorado history.  Thus, the Colorado Gold Rush had begun.

At this time, there were 400 people in the settlement.

1859 Phoenix Gold Mine established

The Phoenix Gold Mine is situated west of downtown Idaho Springs. It was among the first lode mining claims in the region and operated for over a century, producing gold, silver, copper, and lead. “Lode” or hard rock mining is the process by which gold is extracted from the below the ground. This is different from placer mining, which can be done above ground using a gold pan. A lode is a deposit of metalliferous ore that fills in a fracture or is embedded in a vein of ore that is between layers of rock. The Phoenix Gold Mine is open to the public to this day for tours and gold panning.

1860 Hot Springs business opens to public

The hot springs on Soda Creek figured prominently in Idaho Springs’ history. The first business enterprise utilizing the mineral waters was Dr. E.M. Cummings in the early 1860s.

1910 Hot Soda Springs, Idaho Springs
1861 First School

In 1861, a Mrs. Doud started a select school in Idaho Springs with
eleven pupils. The price of tuition was seventy-five cents in gold dust.
The building was made by driving four posts into the ground, covered
with pine boughs and with a piece of carpet for the door, the carpet
having crossed the plains in 1859 on a wagon from New York.

1862 Cabins and frame structures begin to replace tents

Shelter in Idaho Springs, as with most successful mining camps, quickly evolved from a canvas stretched over a low tree branch to tents to log cabins. The primitive cabin allowed year-round survival even in the bitter winds of winter. The prospector could protect his mining claims as well as providing an early start of digging the following spring.

Sawmills appeared within two or three years that met the need for frame buildings for mining, milling and all the other requirements of a new settlement. Photos of Idaho Springs taken in the early 1860’s show the mixture of cabins and frame structures widely scattered about the hillsides. Timber for mines and buildings caused a shortage of wood on the hillsides which helped lead to the establishment of two local brickyards.

1864 The Belmont Lode (silver) is discovered near Georgetown

The Belmont Lode, the first paying silver mine, was discovered 8 miles above Georgetown on Mount McLellan in September. This discovery was significant because gold was being exhausted and the remaining mining was getting difficult and expensive. The discovery of silver triggered a resurgence of interest in mining in the area.

1868 The Hill Smelter and experimental plant opens for business

By the mid 1860s, the mining industry was experiencing a downturn as most of the easy placer and free milling gold had been recovered, and the sulfide ore from the hard-rock mines was proving to be difficult to process with existing milling technology.  The industry could not be profitable unless an efficient  way was found to extract precious metals from the sulfide ores.  Many tried their hand at alchemy, attempting to extract gold and silver from the sulfide ores but no one succeeded.

Nathaniel P. Hill, a chemist and mine owner in Colorado, studied different methods for extracting metal from ore.  He determined that the Welsh “Swansea process” that was being utilized at smelters there would work on Colorado ores.  Hill shipped 70 tons of Central City ore overseas to Swansea, and sailed to Swansea in the fall of 1866 to observe the test. It was successful. 

Hill returned to Colorado, and with the backing of Eastern capital he built Colorado’s first successful smelter at Black Hawk which opened in January 1868. This new plant revitalized the mining industry, and established Black Hawk as the Rocky Mountain’s first smelting center.

Late 1860s The Beebee House built

The Beebee House was actually a hotel built by F.W. Beebee who also held the position of secretary/treasurer of the Virginia Canyon toll road. It has been written that it was the best hotel in Colorado and contained a parlor with carpets, marble-topped tables, horsehair sofas, and gilded glassware.

The bedrooms were noted to be clean and fresh. In 1873 President Grant stayed at the Beebee House. Two homes in Idaho Springs on 19th Avenue and Wall Street were part of the Beebee House structure. The remainder of the house was demolished before 1907 to make room for the present day Elks Lodge at 17th and Colorado Boulevard.

“There are two good hotels, the Beebee House and Springs’ House.  The former, the first hotel built at the springs, and with the additions and improvements completed in 1869, the largest in the mountains.  It has accommodations for 100 guests; the sleeping rooms well ventilated and comfortable; the parlors elegant; the dining-room spacious; the table well supplied, and the landlord and attendants always attentive and agreeable. 

The Beebee House merits the liberal patronage it receives.” Source: “The Rocky Mountain Directory and Colorado Gazetteer for 1871 ”

In 1870 the population of Idaho Springs was 229.

1873 Town is created and mayor elected

In 1873, a town site of 105+ acres was registered with the land office in Central City.  The price for the town site was $1.25 per acre.  R.B. (“Elder”) Griswold was elected Mayor.  All who had taken up claims in the town site had ninety days to pay for the land.  In 1874, President Grant gave a government deed to Griswold, and he in turn would deed the lots to the settlers.

1877 Railroads arrive in Idaho Springs

The railroad reached Idaho Springs in June, 1877 thanks to financier Jay Gould who controlled the Union Pacific (UP) and supplied the necessary funds to complete both the route to Idaho Springs and the later route to Georgetown. The railroad opened access for freight, ore, and passengers to the Rocky Mountains. Additionally, they brought coal to the area as wood was becoming scarce.

1878 Central Hose House built


This hose house served not only as the home for the city’s first hook and ladder cart, but as a meeting place for the firemen from all the city’s independent hose companies, as well as for other social functions.

Two additional hose houses, the Bryan hose house and the 6th Avenue hose house, were built in the 1880s out of locally produced brick.

Mid 1880s Electricity comes to Idaho Springs

Colorado’s very early electric power systems appeared in Idaho Springs and a few other mining camps in the mid 1880’s while much larger cities still used kerosene lamps. The heavy energy requirements of extracting and processing gold in the mountain mineral belts resulted in this circumstance.


The Gem Companies of Idaho Springs were the first to operate both hydro and coal fired steam generating plants in addition to a gold mine operation. The hydro plant located near the Veteran’s Memorial Tunnel, just east of Idaho Springs off I-70, has some remnants even today. The coal fired plant was located just west of the Argo Mill on what is Riverside Drive. A second coal fired plant was west of Idaho Springs. All three plants were known by the company name of Gem.

The Cascade Electric Company soon entered the scene resulting in a rate war that soon propelled Idaho Springs into electric lighting of homes, streets, and wide use of new-fangled appliances like electric irons, fans, toasters and sewing machines.

1893 The Sherman Silver Purchase Act is repealed causing widespread economic devastation in Colorado

The Sherman Silver Purchase Act of 1890 required the U.S. Treasury to buy 4.5 million ounces of silver bouillon each month. Ultimately, the Sherman Silver Purchase Act resulted in diminishing gold reserves, which led to economic panic. By 1893 The U.S. was experiencing its worst depression to date with 40% of people out of work. As a result, Congress repealed the Act in 1893. Simultaneously, the British government stopped makings India’s currency out of silver. This had a devastating impact on Colorado, causing a sharp decline in the price of silver and leading to widespread economic hardship, particularly in the state’s silver mining towns, with many mines shutting down and large numbers of miners becoming unemployed. The following year, the value of silver had dropped by half, while silver production in Clear Creek County peaked at 2,228,864 fine oz.

1898 Social Ethics Club founded

Mary Ventress, a young wife and mother recognized the need for social contact among the women in the area. She and her friends formed The Social Ethics Club, which began as a social affair for the women and children to enjoy themselves. The club quickly began to take on ambitious programs with civic and cultural improvements as their theme. “What is life good for, if not to make it less difficult for others,” became their motto. The Social Ethics Club grew and developed, specializing in community welfare, music and art, advancement of the public library, and sponsoring a new city park. Mrs. Ventress remained active in the Social Ethics Club for sixty-one years and became a part of Idaho Springs history. The Social Ethics Club is still active today.

In 1880 the population of Idaho Springs was 733 and by 1890 had grown to 1,338.

By 1900 Idaho Springs had 2,502 residents.

1903 Argo Tunnel completed

Colorado Gold Rush History cannot be complete without the mention of Argo Gold Mine and Mill. While Clear Creek and Gilpin County mining districts were considered the “richest square mile on earth”, most gold ores were found along streams and rivers. The ore deposits found embedded in rock deep underground were much more difficult to mine, requiring teams of workers to drill and extract. The mines in Clear Creek and Gilpin Counties began to flood, requiring workers to drain the mines to extract the minerals. The Argo Tunnel was constructed to drain the mines. Construction of the 4.2-mile tunnel began in 1893 and took ten years to complete.

The extensive gold mining belt also required a central milling point to reduce processing costs. Stakeholders in the mining industry set up the Argo Mill to provide milling services. Gold ore was transported from all mines to the Argo Mill for processing. In addition to draining the mines, the tunnel provided a direct shipping route to the state-of-the-art milling facility.

Today the Argo Mill is privately owned. Tours are available daily.

1903 Miners strike

The Idaho Springs miners strike of 1903 was a labor strike by members of the Western Federation of Miners (WFM) against gold mines in the vicinity of Idaho Springs, Colorado. It is one of the strikes of 1903-1904 that are collectively known as the Colorado Labor Wars. The union demanded a reduction in the working day to eight hours, without a corresponding reduction in pay. The strike began on May 1, 1903, and was called off on September 1, 1903. The strike is noted for a dynamite attack on the Sun and Moon mine, and the forcible deportation of 19 union officials and union members from the area.

On 1 May 1903, the WFM Local at Idaho Springs declared a strike against six gold mines, demanding the 8-hour day with no reduction in wages. About 250 miners walked out, idling six mines. Two mines re-opened on 18 May with non-union miners, but paid the non-union men the union-demanded wage for an 8-hour day. When these mines, along with a third mine, agreed to take back striking union miners and also pay them the old wage for eight-hour days, the union declared the strike off for those mines. The other three mines also re-opened with non-union men but did not go to 8-hour shifts.

1905 Carnegie Library completed

The Idaho Springs library was made possible with a donation of $10,000 from Andrew Carnegie.

1913 Epic snowstorm

The December snowstorm left Denver with 45 inches of snow. Communities west of Denver received up to 60 inches leaving some communities paralyzed for weeks.

In 1910 the population decreased to 2,154 before dropping to 1,192 in 1920.